Friday, May 9, 2008

Why?

Well, as my lovely wife mentioned, we have a number of self-indulgences that keep us busy. Many of them are culinary. Now mind you, neither Jan or I have ever been ones to miss a meal. But I think we've managed to cross over into the land of "foodieism".

I know for me (and I am pretty sure for Jan as well although I'll let her comment), quality food and food prep has been a part of my entire life. Whether it was experiences like my Oakie/Arkie roots including the ubiquitous taters, beeesquits, and graaavey, my mom's awakening via Adelle Davis (telling my dad "you can't have biscuits and gravy), or my dad's pickle and olive making, I've grown up with an interest in making good food.

My interest in quality food prep has been further motivated by the recent discovery that I'm allergic to everything. Well, not everything, just wheat, corn, soy, walnuts, sesame to name a few (what doesn't have corn in it?). I'll write more on this whole experience later. Needless to say, since virtually eliminating these allergens, my life has improved dramatically! But alas, no more olive loaf sandwiches or store bought cured meat (most have corn in them). So I've recently increased a lingering interest in charcuterie. To make your own really isn't that difficult and we have access to some very high quality ingredients, so off I'm running.

Next up, some charcuterie stuff in the works ....

No comments: